Saturday, December 28, 2013

Winter Anime 2014 - My Impressions

January is coming soon and so is the new anime season. There are few I am looking forward to and just as many I expect to be repeats of what we have all seen in the past.

Winter Anime Chart V4 by Zana

Double Circle: The first episode of this has already come out and it is only six minutes in length. But in that six minutes I got lost and confused. I thought this was about some futuristic society, not magical mechas and monsters. I'll stay tuned for more. It is only six minute episodes and not the greatest waste of my time.

Seitokai Yakuindomo S2: The first season was hilarious as I expect the second to be. It is no easy task to make twelve episodes of pure perverted jokes. However a second season may push them over the edge and all we can expect is repeats of the first. I have faith it is not.

Space Dandy: I watched a preview of this and I may be hooked. I am not a fan of blatant fanservice, but Space Dandy may be so hilarious that I can overlook it as just fanservice. An alien hunter who travels throughout space, while stopping at every 'brestaurant' he can find. No doubt funny and it is coming out in English as it is coming out in Japanese.

Who could not laugh at this guy?

Noragami: I have seen too much of students in middle schools who mess around in the affairs of gods, but it is what sells to everyone else. Though I can always give another one a chance.

Nobunaga the Fool: This show caught my eye. First off, it doesn't take place in a middle or high school from what I can tell. I am interested to find out more about this fool Oda Nobunaga and what he will do. This show has mystery around it and I want to keep it that way until I can watch it.

Toaru Hikuushi e no Koiuta: I have an interest in the finesse of aristocracy from the Victorian Era, something of the like from Black Butler. This may or may not have it, but a prince in this aerial world interests me. Likely because I have been writing of a similar story that takes a steampunk approach to the ordeals of a prince in a war-ridden world.

Hamatora: I don't know what 'Minimum Holders' are or what it entails, but Darker than Black is what comes to mind. Maybe these people have special powers that are interesting. What I do know, is that some bandages draw the eye's attention and interest. Already this colorful and varied cast has me hooked. The nerd girl who has a tail. The serious rich guy(Girl? I can't tell). The fabulous, laid-back, and suave man which has me intrigued. The intelligent, observant, and stoic genius. Finally, the girl who doesn't care and isn't afraid to get mean. Each unique, but I can't forget they might be from the cookie cutter.

Fabulous, right?

Pupa: We have all been waiting for this collection of incest and cannibalism. I am no fan of disgusting things, but this show has collected so much hype even I am excited. It was suppose to come out last season, but it was pushed back due to the graphic content. Now this show is certain to become a must watch this season, all because of the hype it has generated. Not to mention cannibalism incest. 

Houzuki no Reitetsu: This show, though the preview image may not appease my eyes, could easily be the best this season. A clam and sadistic servant to a fierce god, he then has to resolve all the problems that occur in Hell. Most original I have heard this season.

Nisekoi: Fanserivce? Probably. Interesting? Maybe. A romantic comedy where the man is an air to the Yakuza. Original, right? He then has to pretend to be somebody's girlfriend. I see where this is going. He hates the girl he pretends to be girlfriends with. Clearly I did not see that coming. This is what happens when I let eye candy make my decisions.

This season will be another one over ridden with absurd fanservice and nothing but the usual plot lines. My faith lies with Hozuki no Reitetsu, Pupa, Hamatora, Nobunaga the Fool, and Space Dandy. I'm just tired of this abuse of simple minds who are intrigued by a few high flying skirts. I doubt these select few will be on par with Death Note and the like who have made their name known in the industry. Next season, I hope I can see a show that will struck awe in me. For I am sorry to say so soon, most of these will not.

If you wish to see me criticize the rampant fanservice in this season, wait for my piece where I talk about fanservice. It is funny and nothing makes you feel better than judging fanservice.

No comments:

Post a Comment